Osteoporosis Statistics - Things You Never Knew
This section on osteoporosis statistics will show you how devastating osteoporosis is.
- Osteoporosis is the second most common diseases in the world. The top spot goes to cardiovascular diseases - diseases involving the heart.
- Osteoporosis will affect a third of all women who are above fifty years old. This figure is greater than the number of women who suffer from breast cancer.
- Twenty percent of all men will suffer from this disease, which is greater than prostate cancer.
- Osteoporosis is the cause for more than a million cases of fractures in the United States.
- In the United Kingdom, estimates show that one out of every two women will suffer from a fracture after 50 because of osteoporosis.
- A significant number of Asian countries do not meet the daily calcium intake recommended by the World Health Organization (WHO).
(gulps) I'm from Singapore. But thankfully, my parents always stressed the importance of exercise and drinking milk since I was young.
- The number of osteoporosis sufferers in Australia stands at approximately 2 million people.
The information that I have given you above are based on various reliable sources.
Other Interesting Facts
- Women who sit for more than 9 hours a day are more likely to suffer from a hip injury.
If you work at a desk all day, I think that you should remind yourself to take a break and walk. This is quite a depressing fact, but it is better to know about it now than later!
- Working it out in the sun is the best way of combating osteoporosis.
Working out helps build stronger bones, as you have read at Exercise For Osteoporosis. However, when you exercise in the sun, your body produces more vitamin D that can help calcium absorption!
Final Words From Azri
The osteoporosis statistics that I have highlighted here might be rather depressing.
My main drive for Exercise For Beginners was to help you realize how wonderful exercising can be!
Don't let this article get you down. Instead, meet your friends for a friendly game of tennis. Sign up for a charity run.
If you keep moving, you will keep osteoporosis, and other illnesses, away. Share this page with your friends, warn them before it is too late.