Best Leg Exercises - Learn What Tickles My Fancy
The best leg exercises that are featured here are also the ones which are my favourite. The reasons why I feel that they are the cream of the crop is because they are effective and are simple to do.
I'm sure you would want exercises that were effective and easy to do, right?
Best Leg Exercises: Squat Thrust
The squat thrust is not only great at training your legs, but it also serves as a wonderful method of warming up. Doing a few repetitions of this exercise is guaranteed to get your heart racing and your leg muscles working.
- Stand with your feet shoulder width apart. Squat down and place your hands on the floor.
- Kick out both your legs until you are in a push up starting position.
- Bring both your legs in, such that you are back to the squatting position.
- Stand up. Repeat the entire process another 8 more times.
Try doing this workout fast, but at a pace that is comfortable to you. Despite saying that, I'm not going to stop you if you want to give yourself a challenge by pushing yourself further.
Best Leg Exercises: Step Ups
I used to think that speed equals to power. As in, if a workout needed you to be fast, like the squat thrust that I discussed above, it meant that it was more effective. Boy, was I wrong. Step ups are great at targeting your leg muscles.
I should know, I improved my long jumps after a friend of mine suggested doing step ups. I swear by this exercise.
- Step onto a chair or a stool with your right leg.
- Bring down your left leg.
- Bring down your right leg. Strive to continuously do step ups for half a minute.
- Repeat by stepping onto your chair with your left leg. Do it for another half a minute.
My favourite tip: try doing the exercise without timing yourself. Just keep doing step ups until you tire one leg. Then repeat for the other leg, also until exhaustion.
It is amazing feel on your legs. I love feeling my leg muscles ache from doing this workout. Absolutely wonderful feeling.
Best Leg Exercises: Wall Squat
I love this workout too. All you do is simply squat and while the time away! If you have played volleyball, you probably won't be alien to this exercise. It's like part and parcel of volleyball training.
- Stand two steps away from a wall. Squat down, and lean your body against the wall.
- Hold the position for 30 seconds.
The duration that you can hold the position is dependent on how strong your legs are. It might be tough at first, but as you get accustomed to the workout itself, you will find that you can do the exercise for a longer period of time.
Final Words From Azri
Try at least one of the best leg exercises that I have shared with you. They are wonderful for your legs and also help you with your day to day activities, be it walking your dog, doing long jumps and so on.
I hope that in time, you find your own personal favourites. Liking a certain exercise goes a long way in maintaining your motivation to exercise over a long period of time.
Go forth and conquer and report back to me. I'll be more than happy to hear about what workouts you love.
If you enjoyed this page, why not join the mailing list to Exercise For Beginners Primetime, an e-zine that gives you special fitness information ONLY subscribers get to read! You won't be disappointed!